Monday, October 24, 2011

Breast Health Center 5k

Ran my first Okinawan race!

Saturday morning was the Naval Hospital's Breast Health Center 5k.  Chris stayed home with the guys so I got to enjoy some alone time.  This race definitely had a fun atmosphere - families, dogs, lots and lots of pink!  The weather was also beautiful - just enough sun and breeze.  I was kicking myself for not bringing my camera!

Since I'm still on week 7 of the C25k schedule, my plan was to run as close to 2 miles as I could manage then walk the rest of the 5k.  I've been struggling in my regular workouts on the treadmill.  I thought for sure I'd barely be able to run a mile.  Instead, I was able to finish the entire 5k without walking!  Oh, the importance of not listening to the nasty voice of doubt (why is that a lesson I need to keep learning over and over again!  lol)

The course started at Camp Lester's gym, took us by hospital, next to the school and through some of the base's housing.  I kept my pace nice and slow and the next thing I know we're getting close to the finish line.  The last couple of hills weren't easy, I definitely wanted to walk, but I stuck it out and finished running strong!

Not sure how fast I was (no clocks on the course and I didn't have my watch).  I'm estimating my time was around 30 minutes (it was 7:36am by the time I got back to my car and I guessing it took me about 5 or 6 minutes to grab an orange, drink some water then walk back to the parking lot).  Regardless, it just feels good to go from barely being able to waddle my big pregnant butt around the house a few months ago to feeling like I'm getting some of my regular body back  :)

The rest of the weekend was less exciting.  Saturday after dinner, we set out to explore the neighborhood.  We walked down to the major road near our house and went into some shops that caught our eye.  We ended up with the most random purchases - a chocolate pastry, roach traps, a calendar, some alcohol and a bag of Cheetos  lol  Sunday we tried going to the Southeast Botanical Gardens but apparently they're no longer in business and haven't been since last December.  Bummer.  Hopefully some more exciting adventures this week (Sesame Street is coming for a visit on Thursday, so at least Owen will be having a good time!  lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment