Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Oregon coast

One of the things I love about Okinawa is that the commissary sells Tillamook Cheese.  Whenever my parents came to visit us in Virginia or North Carolina, they always brought me a brick or two of cheese (which I'm sure the TSA loves seeing go through the x-ray machines).  My family used to regularly go camping at Netarts Bay and the trip wasn't complete without a stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory for samples and ice cream.


Of course, things change.  I haven't been to Tillamook in several years (maybe even since before we moved to NC in 2004).  Because I haven't gone in so long, we made a special detour on our way down to Lincoln City for lunch and some ice cream.

Isaac watching the cheese makers in action
Sharing a scoop of Rootbeer Float, the family favorite 

We arrived in Lincoln City in time mix up some martinis and watch the whales playing in the ocean.   Usually we only see the puffs of spray but this time we could see them breaching and lobtailing.

Whale watching

A surfer near Nelscott Reef 

We ended our day by walking down to the beach and letting the boys having some fun.  (Owen quickly learned that the beaches in Oregon are very different from those in Okinawa.  Most importantly, this water is much, much colder.)

Owen playing at sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment